One hundred years of bowling at Tally Ho!
In 1918 the first bowling green was laid at Tally Ho. Initially, it was a Crown Green but with the increasing popularity of Level Green bowls a few years later it was taken up and relaid as a Flat green and in 1929 the Police team joined the Birmingham Bowling Association in its inaugural year. The rising popularity of bowls and its easy access to all members of society resulted in a second Flat green being laid alongside the first.
With the resurgence of Crown Green amongst Police Officers in the 1980's the absence of a Police Crown Green saw them bowling at the Yale Bowling Club. Their success drew the attention of Mr Leopold, DCC, and in order to give them a 'home' green the underused 2nd green at Tally Ho was relaid as a Crown Green in the late 80's and the West Midlands Police Crown Green Club joining the Warwick and Worcester league in 1991 playing at Tally Ho on their 'new' green.
The success of this new green was recognised by the bowling world and in 1997 Tally Ho was given the honour of hosting the National Championships, using both greens. This may have been the first time a Flat green has been used in a Crown Green National Championship!
Today, both greens are in regular use (Summertime that is ) and continue to give all members of our Force and associated staff and members unrivalled facilities for whole family participation from beginners to the more experienced players. Tuition and equipment is available for both disciplines and many of our current members play in both sections. Old 'them and us' barriers have been broken down and the niceties of both games are appreciated in a friendly rivalry.
COME ALONG AND JOIN US. Details of contacts are on the home pages of both sections, otherwise, Tally Ho is only too happy to help with this.
Cotswold 113 PSUK National Championships
Motor Club at Ford Show Day
More fundraising success at Blithfield!
CROWN GREEN BOWLS